Monday, February 4, 2013

Burda Style 7293 skirt






This is my first time working with a Burda pattern and boy am I happy! Since I had heard from many sources about the amazing fit of Burda patterns, I decided to refrain from making any changes, which is also a first for me. I usually end up having to tweak at least a few things. Not with this one!




One place these instructions got the better of me was when attaching the skirt bottom to the yoke. The pattern talks about a placement line and a separate stitching line. After some fiddling around, I realized it really was as simple as placing the wrong side of the skirt bottom on top of right side of yoke with the top edge of the skirt bottom on the placement line.





Deviations from the pattern: 

1. The skirt in View B has a frayed edge along the yoke, but I'm not a fan of frayed edges and I also didn't think it would look good with this particular fabric. I decided to finish the edges of the yoke with a ribbon using Hong Kong finish. I really like how this turned out and will definitely work with this technique more often now. The only trouble spots were near the pleats where the ribbon tended to slip a bit over the multiple thickness of fabric.

2. Increased the length by an inch.

New technique tried on the garment:

1. Invisible hem using the invisible hem foot on my Brother sewing machine.




4 comments:

  1. Hi Prachis,

    I've joined the Fearless February challenge as well - trying to fit the project in around a very demanding month, but I have a quiet weekend in which to finish. Love the skirt, suits you very nicely, well done on learning to sew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, Prachi. I have a headache today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for the encouraging words, Sarah! Being a part of the sewing blogosphere is so much fun. I'm enjoying this just as much as creating my garments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey its really nice skirt..!!!!

    ReplyDelete