Wednesday, February 27, 2013

In anticipation of summer...my Butterick B5711 blouse

For the Fearless February sew-along, I picked a button-up (or is that button-down?) blouse pattern. In the two years that I have been sewing, I haven't made a single thing that has buttons going down the center. I never thought myself capable of matching up a buttonhole to a button well enough that it doesn't pucker up at all the wrong places. The other reason for tackling this project; this is going to be my stepping stone towards making jackets.









I decided to make View A, which has the flutter sleeves. This would have looked really pretty in  Georgette or similar lighter fabric. But in my crisp cotton, this looked more like armor. I wanted to change this to puff sleeves, but didn't have enough fabric left over to cut the sleeves for View B. Solution: release tucks at the bottom of the sleeve! I copied this technique from a Jessica Howard dress I bought a couple of months back. And it all ties in so well! The blouse has release tucks in the pattern already. I am sooooooo happy I thought to do this.



Before
After

Deviations from pattern:
1. Changed the self-facing to appear on top. I felt having the button placket ( if that's the right word) folded to the inside made it look more dated.
2. And the sleeves ofcourse.


New technique tried on the garment:
1. FRENCH SEAMS!! (that is happy shouting :) )
      This is my first time completing an entire garment with french seams and I am in love with the way the garment looks on the inside. 





6 comments:

  1. Very smart how you solved the sleeves problem. The blouse is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the lovely words, Elise! Loved your skirt from Fearless February. It really is great fun learning to sew!

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous!! You gotta show me the french seams next time we meet! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deepa! Sure thing, see ya this weekend then. :)

      Delete
  3. Nice blouse. I would call it a button-front blouse. A button down shirt has small buttonholes on the collar with matching buttons on the blouse so you can "button down" your collar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey thanks for clearing that up, Sara! Now it makes sense to me.

      Delete